Monday, October 25, 2010

A simple truth about boaters...

I've been aboard The Mystery for about 2 months now and still living in the marina (darn that missing engine!) and I've decided that there are a few truths about boaters and marina life in general.

Boaters come in every variety you can imagine.  You have everything from the yuppie boaters to the old salts straight out of the old sea adventure movies.  Where they come in every description you can imagine, they all have one basic thing in common (with a couple of exceptions...of course), they are all willing to bend over backwards to help you when you need it.  I have had suggestions and actual physical help from a retired military boater who owns a rather nice (and expensive) trawler.  He didn't bat an eyelash at our rather cramped and chaotic lifestyle.  I've gotten help from an "old salt" that is a retired lobster fisherman (I hope I'm calling that by the correct name!) who was willing to stop what he was doing and come right over to answer a "What's that thing and why do I have it?" question.  I've really only had 1 "bad" boater experience and that was from a non-live aboard who only visits on the weekends.  Obviously, I can't call them a "real boater"~lol

I've also decided that there are obvious advantages to marina life and glaringly obvious disadvantages.  It's nice to have neighbors and really nice not having to dinghy in and out of the harbor every time you want to see someone.  Marina life provides an "instant community" complete with a ready supply of people who immediately have boating in common.  But, it also provides an instant community that may not be exactly to your liking all the time.  Normally, you would simply move your boat, but we're stuck (not to mention we love it here with only a couple of exceptions).  I think there's always going to be that "one" boater who's going to get on your nerves.  You know...the one that has to "push your button" every once in awhile.

Overall though, I have to say that this life is what you make of it.  I have totally embraced this lifestyle.  I'm happy with the yuppie boaters (where I was never tolerant of yuppies before) as well as the old salts that are a little rough around the edges but SO nice.  I seem to be able to move from group to group here and be accepted by all.  I'm so thankful that I've had the chance to meet so many people and learn so much in such a short time.  Everyday, I learn something new and I can't tell you how patient everyone has been with us "newbies".  Even the "dumb" questions are answered in all seriousness and I've never been made to feel stupid for asking them.

To all my fellow boaters, I tip my hat and say thank you, thank you, thank you.

~Pamela

1 comment:

  1. What a nice posting. Pam, I can't imagine anyone who knows you not loving you. You are simply the best. To all your neighbors, I say enjoy her while you can...she is like the wind. LOL

    ReplyDelete