Friday, September 17, 2010

Spare time and what do I do?

Living on a boat presents plenty of time to pursue other interests.  There are only so many things to occupy yourself with.  There's not much cleaning to be done and regular maintenance only takes a few moments.  Many live aboards in this marina have tv's since there's cable available (we do not), so they keep up with regular shows.  But, there's still plenty of spare time if you don't work full-time (many do not) and still time left over if you do.

My husband works full-time and I work part-time, so I invariably have plenty of time to try and fill during the afternoon's when it' hot.  I read, listen to music and get my cleaning/straightening done after 10 am when the temperature is starting to rise.  Let's be honest, I love to read, but I can only read so long before I need something else to do.  There's always the internet, but after awhile you need something else to occupy not only your mind, but your hands also.

Thankfully, I have a neighbor who has taught me to make beaded jewelry.  I now have several beaded rings and I'm moving on to bracelets and necklaces now.  What am I ever going to do with all these beads~lol  The artists are no longer welcome to sell their wares on St. George Street or in the Plaza, so I have started to accumulate a rather large collection of jewelry (which I do not wear~lol).

I've been asked to organize a "Mariner's Flea Market", so I guess I'm going to have to so I can sell everything I've made to date~lol   I hope to organize the flea market for sometime in October, when the weather is cooler.  Lot's of the boaters here have hobbies that produce large amounts of artwork from beaded jewelry to photography to bicycle repair.  I can't wait to see what everyone else has to offer.  Who knows, maybe I'll pick up another skill:-)


My first attempts at beaded rings...







No comments:

Post a Comment