Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Getting Settled

V-Berth
For those of you who don't know us, let me tell you that my husband and I are both tall people.  There isn't much head-room on a 26' sailboat, so we are having to learn to adjust. 

The biggest obstacle so far is sleeping.  We were so happy to move into the v-berth, but after 2 night I was miserable.  Where it is long enough for one of us, we cant both fit our legs and feet into the "v".  Time to change our sleeping arrangement!


Quarter Berth

My son has been sleeping with his lower half in the quarter berth (Sara and Bert have to deepest portion for themselves) and we are trading with him now.  I sleep on the small starboard berth and Bob gets the port berth (with the dogs at his feet).  I have plans to purchase thick plywood that will be cut into 2 portions to make a larger, full-size berth, between the 2 smaller ones.  I did this in our Minnie-Winnie with the 2 twin beds in back, so I am going to try the same principle.  The only difference is that I will have to store the ply-wood pieces under the settee cushions during the day.  I'm also getting foam to cover the plywood, so it will have to be rolled up and stored when not in use.  Not sure how this is going to work out yet, but it'll be better than sleeping away from Bob every night!

I am considering getting one of the memory foam pads to help with comfort, if I can find one at a reasonable price.  The foam in the cushions is SO hard, it's almost like sleeping on bare wood at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment